Monday, April 14, 2008

King Lear - Manglish + Singlish version

I'm still updating my blog skin. It appears so ugly + plain now. But who cares.
I've got nothing much to blog about today. However, after Andrew claimed that he's so bored, I 'baik hati sikit lah'.

Neralie my Lit tutor gave us our weekly homework last week. It's interesting, cause instead of listening to the boring CD version of King Lear, we are going to present it in a group work tomorrow in our 1st language. Since, I cant speak good Malay + i can't write in Chinese, I joined Yu Lin to translate our act to a manglish + singlish version.




















King Lear by Shakespears: Ian Holm.
Quoted from Andrew : "The angry man is looking at you"



A spoiler for tomorrow
: King Lear, Act 1, Scene 1: When Cordelia's giving her speech.

Lear: Eh girl, got anything to say or not?

Cordelia: Nothing

Lear: Nothing?

Cordelia: Nothing

Lear: But you say nothing, got nothing what. Talk summore.

Cordelia: Daddy, I love you. But I cannot say more than I mean.

Lear: Huh????? What did you say? You say again!

Cordelia: You gave birth to me, bring me up and love me. If jie jie they all say that they love you that much then why they get married? Of course when I get married, I have to love my husband right?

Lear: Do you really mean this? So small and heartless.

Cordelia: No dad, I'm just being honest.

Lear: Fine! Useless bump! So ungrateful. I'll disown you now.

Kent: Eh boss boss. Dun so kan cheong!

Lear: You shut up! I love her the most, I thought she will look after me when I grow old. You go away and get out of my sight.
Hai yoh. My heart.. cannot take it lah... heart attack lah... heart attack
Oi... u call Burgundy. U call France. The rest of your, share Cordelia's share. Since she's so proud, she can marry her pride.
Ok, so your are now Kings, but I want to keep my 100 knights plus I'll stay at your houses. I'll continue to keep my title, but you two will govern the kingdom.

Kent: Please Boss! Dun make stupid mistakes.

Lear: What's done is done.

Kent: This is too much. You are mad. Who say Cordelia don't love you? You hear before of not?
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Lear: I say stop it.

Kent: No.

Lear: I said, get out!

Kent: Look carefully.

Lear: Suai

Kent: You suai me? Oh hor... You use God's name and suai.

Lear: Wu kui wang pa tan.

Looking back at this piece of art, It's really so Singlish. Imagine my situation when I've to speak such broken english in front of Neralie. GOSH!

No comments: